As today is my grandmother’s death day, our family honors her in the traditional Vietnamese way….a vegetarian feast!! I decided to contribute a vegetarian Vietnamese curry and stir fry dish. I chose both dishes because they share lots of ingredients….I’m a lazy cook – let me rephrase that – I’m an efficient cook and I assume most of us are busy – we don’t have time or money to prepare separate ingredients for 2 dishes.
I also had planned to take step by step pictures and ingredients, however as most technology that falls into my hands does, my camera erases them all. Luckily I have a tech savvy boyfriend that will make sure this never happens again!
Prep: ~15 pieces of Medium-Firm Tofu: the tofu needs to be rubbed down with spices a day before and stored. Mix lots of salt with some mushroom powder and a bit of garlic powder. Add a teeny bit of red pepper for color. Day of cooking, deep fry until a golden brown
Vegetarian Curry – Ca Ri Chay
- 2 Carrots: washed and peeled;cut into 2 in chunks
- 1 Large Taro: peel and diced into same size chunks
- 4 Potatoes: washed, peeled and diced into bite chunks; also a variety of potatoes is always tasty…half boiling potatoes and half sweet potatoes always is a delicious mix!
- Lemon grass (for the lazy cook – frozen lemon grass…for tastier, use fresh)
- 1/4 cup diced leeks
- 5-6 pieces of Pre-prepared tofu
- Curry Powder
- 2 King Oyster mushroom: diced in bite size pieces
- 2 Cups of Shittake mushrooms: cut in half
- 2 Cups Vegetarian Ham
- Half and Half or Milk (depending on how fatty/delicious you want it)
- Mushroom powder
- 1 Can of coconut milk
***Note: This recipe is very flexible…you can add whatever ingredients you like or choose to skip some. These are just the ingredients I prefer to use. You can add more/less or add your own (For example, some people like adding yams)
1. Sauté the carrots, taro, and potato in olive oil until golden. Set aside.
2. Sauté a couple of spoons of lemon grass and the leeks in olive oil. Set aside.
3. In a large pot on med heat, resauté the lemon grass and leeks. Add the tofu and stir.
4. Stir in 2.5 spoons of curry powder, 1 tsp of salt, and 2 tsp of sugar.
5. Add in the taro/carrot/potatoes. Stir in 1 more tsp of curry.
6. Add in the mushroom and ham. Taste…add more curry if wanted.
7. Add in milk or half and half…I use about 1/3 of a gallon of fat free milk or until it almost covers everything. Add salt/sugar/curry if needed.
8. Add ~2 tsp of mushroom powder and lower heat to prevent milk from burning.
9. Let simmer and cover for about 20 min or until potatoes and taro are soft.
10. Add in 3/4 can of coconut milk. Add more milk if too thick or if needed.
11. Let simmer ~15 min or until everything is cooked throughly and soft. Serve it up with vermicelli noodles, french bread, or rice!
Vegetarian Stir Fry recipe will be posted tomorrow!