This is a very easy dish and cheap daily dish. One of my personal favorites! I chose this recipe because I had leftover ingredients from the bun rieu. Efficient, right?
Tom Ca – Sweet Tomato Shrimp
- 1/3 white onion – diced
- 2 Large tomatoes or 4 small – diced
- 4 Scallion stalks – diced
- 1/2 Jar of Shrimp Paste/Gach Tom – yes, the same one used for bun rieu!
- ~1 lb or 25 count Large shrimp – peeled and deveined
***Note: Save your shrimp shells – they can be used in the future for added flavor. Waste not!
1. In a medium sized saucepan, sauté the white onion on medium heat until golden.
2. Switch to high heat and add in tomatoes. Quickly stir for about 2 minutes to allow the tomato juices to release and switch back to medium heat.
3. Add in the green onion and allow to cook for a few minutes.
4. Add in the shrimp paste and about 1 tsp of salt and 1.5 Tbsp of sugar. Taste!
5. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until sauce thickens a little.
6. Add in shrimp and quickly stir. Cover and stir ever other minute or so for about 5 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp…it becomes very chewy.
7. If your sauce is not thick by now, mix a little flour with water and add it to the shrimp. Add more salt/sugar to balance it out. I cooked this very quickly and didn’t let the sauce thicken, so my picture is soupier than it should be 😦 Serve with rice and enjoy!