Very traditional everyday Vietnamese dish. Probably not for everyone, but it’s very healthy and I like it myself.
Canh Tom Xu – Shimp Chaoyte Soup
- 8-10 Large Shrimp – soak overnight in your pot filled 1/4 of the way
- Empty shrimp shells (optional) – I saved it from the last recipe
- 2-3 Tbsp Shrimp paste/Gach Tom – again!
- 3 Chayote/Trai Xu – slice thinly (I prefer using a mandolin)
- 3-4 Scallion – chopped
1. Scoop out the shrimp from the pot and bring the water to boil.
2. Add in any shrimp shells you have and bring to boil for 10 min. Be careful…it can boil over very easily!
3. Discard shells.
4. Add your shrimp paste and shrimp again. Bring it back to boil.
5. Slowly add in the chayote and bring it back to boil.
6. Cover for 3-5 min, stirring occasionally. Again, be careful of boiling over.
7. Add in your green onion and taste! Add in and salt/sugar needed and serve with rice!