Continuing our vegetarian theme, this recipe was also made during Lunar New Year week. This recipe is a made up concoction – no real name to it – but still delicious and full of nutrition from the mushroom, tomatoes, and pineapple! It was made mostly out of convenience of ingredients around the house and found at the market. My mom always told me that the ingredients really dictate what you cook, and not the recipe dictating the cooking. Wise words to cook by!
Bun Ca Tom Chay – Vermicelli, Tomato & Pineapple Vegetarian Soup
- 1 Leek – Diced
- 2 boxes of white mushrooms – sliced
- 4 large tomatoes – quartered
- 1/2 pkg Vegetarian Ham – sliced and halved
- 1/4 cup Fresh Pineapple Chunks
- 1 pkg Medium-Firm Tofu – cut into bite-sized cubes
- Salt, Sugar
- Mushroom Powder
- Cilantro – chopped
- Vermicelli noodles – cooked, drained and set aside
1. Saute the leeks on med-high until golden brown in a large pot.
2. Add in your mushroom. Add in ~2 Tbsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp mushroom powder. Cover on medium and let the mushrooms cook.
3. Taste the mushroom, add in salt/sugar/mushroom powder as needed. Add in your vegetarian ham. Cover for 1-2 minutes to let the ham cook.
4. Add in your tomatoes and pineapple. Stir in 1 tbsp of paprika and ~1 tbsp of sugar. Cover and let cook.
5. Taste and add mushroom powder, salt and sugar until desired tasted. Add in water to fill the pot. Bring to boil.
6. Add in your tofu and bring the heat to low.
7. In a serving bowl, portion your vermicelli noodles. Top with cilantro.
8. Ladle in your soup and serve!